From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I'm going crazy ;-)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:23:01
1 On 4/28/06, Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it> wrote:
2 > What's happening about locales/languages?
3 > I've tried to install PHP-Nuke and Xoops, but one of them (I don't
4 > remember which one, now ;-)) doesn't like utf8 encoding, because it
5 > creates too long primary keys for MySQL.
6 > So I remerged MySQL and replaced "utf8" with "latin1"
7 > in /etc/mysql/my.conf.
8 > I've emerged Mediawiki (thanks Ric!) with the math USE flag, but when
9 > I try to save a page containing a formula I get the error message:
10 >
11 > "1267: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and
12 > (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (localhost)"
13 >
14 > Yes! My wikidb database was created with latin1_swedish_ci
15 > collation!!!
16 > And phpmyadmin says to me that MySQL charset is utf8!!!
17 >
18 > Who has set those collation values??? I didn't...
19 >
20 > Sergio
21
22 That's exactly the reason we still use mysql 4.0 in our production environment.
23
24 The mysql charset thingy is basically a whole load of mess.
25
26 A brief search on mysql's bug database shows some of the encoding bugs
27 and unicode key length not correctly calculated are still not properly
28 fixed yet they pushed their production version to 5.0.
29
30 We might be switching to postgres, at least it supports views,
31 triggers and handles encoding properly. The only thing preventing us
32 from doing so is that we use Mantisbt, which only works with mysql.
33
34 -- Joe
37 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
38 Those who can count, and those who can't.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list