From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Email client for a SLOW connection
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:03:41
1 On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:15:05AM -0700, Penguin Lover Grant squawked:
2 > I'm on an excruciatingly slow internet connection right now. The
3 > email client seems to be the major productivity blocker. Thunderbird
4 > spends a lot of time loading or whatever and squirrelmail is just
5 > slow. Would something like mutt be an improvement? Any other
6 > recommendations?
7
8 Sorry, I don't quite understand your setup:
9
10 Are you:
11
12 a) Running a remote desktop / X over ssh type scenario where you run
13 Thunderbird from a server on your client over a slow internet
14 connection? If so, then certainly using a text-based client like
15 Mutt will help.
16
17 b) Reading mail that is stored remotedly on a local computer? via
18 IMAP? In this case I cannot say, not having used Thunderbird or
19 squirrelmail. This really depends on how efficiently the individual
20 clients are coded, and the best way to find out is to just try them
21 out and see if you get an improvement. Theoretically the limit
22 imposed on the mail clients by your slow internet connection should
23 be the same.
24
25 c) doing something else completely?
26
27 Can you explain what you mean by Thunderbird "loading"? Loading what?
28 The program itself? Or a particular e-mail?
29
30 As it stands, your e-mail really doesn't give us much information
31 about what your setup is and what you would like to improve.
32
33 One thing that I just thought of: often it maybe faster (if you have
34 the access) to ssh into the mail server and run mutt there compared to
35 using IMAP. Especially with e-mails with attached pictures and HTML
36 mark-up: if you parse those on the server with lynx and send only the
37 text through the ssh, it will often be faster than downloading the
38 entire mail and parsing it locally.
39
40 Regards,
41
42 W
43 --
44 If you buy the paperback version of Maxwell's _Treatise_, on the cover,
45 this diagram is drawn... worked out in the 1870's, without a pocket
46 calculator...
47 ~Prof. Kirk T. McDonald, DeathEM, P-town PHY 304
48 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 683 days, 14:34