From: Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] request_module: runaway loop
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:48:59
1 On Monday 30 August 2010 12:40:59 am J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday 30 August 2010 07:06:05 Mike Diehl wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I'm trying to build a new duel quad-core server and I'm having some
6 > > problems.
7 > >
8 > > Just after it loads the keymap, I get this error:
9 > >
10 > > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
11 > >
12 > > A few minutes later, it panics.
13 > >
14 > > I'm loading from a pendrive that I've used before to build servers, so I
15 > > don't THINK it's the installation media.
16 > >
17 > > Some of the search results I got from Goggle (who is my friend, btw)
18 > > indicated that it might be a problem with drive labels. After unplugging
19 > > both drives and retrying, I'm convinced thats not the case.
20 > >
21 > > Other chatter indicated that I was booting a 32-bin kernel in a 64-bit
22 > > OS, or vise versa. Based solely on the name of the failing module, this
23 > > has some credibility, but seems like a stretch since I've not changed
24 > > the pendrive.
25 > >
26 > > Anyone else seen, and fixed, this problem before? Any advise would be
27 > > welcome.
28 >
29 > Not seen this myself, but I did find the following page:
30 > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=253794
31 >
32 > This mentions reinstalling grub solved the issue.
33 >
34 > Is the pendrive for a 32bit installation or a 64bit installation?
35 >
36 > --
37 > Joost
38
39 I just tried to use the pendrive to boot an older machine and got the same
40 results. Looks like my pendrive is corrupted. Thank you for your time.
41
42
43 --
44