From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PATA vs SATA kernel driver (was: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore)
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:02:44
1 Am Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013, 10:57:09 schrieb Raffaele BELARDI:
2 > On 01/09/2013 10:01 AM, Dale wrote:
3 > > < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support **(DEPRECATED)**
4 >
5 > Yes, I know it is unmaintained and deprecated, I'm looking for a
6 > rational reason to move to the SATA driver when the PATA one works well
7 > with my old drives. The PATA drives are probably going to die before the
8 > PATA driver is moved out of the kernel (if ever) so I might as well wait
9 > for the switch till I need new hardware, or not?
10 >
11 > raffaele
12
13 because every day there are changes in the kernel that might affect those old,
14 deprecated and mostly unmaintained drivers. It is pretty certain that you will
15 run into problems.
18 #163933