From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-misc/sddm-0.18.1-r6 exits inexplicably
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 10:37:05
1 On Saturday, 9 April 2022 11:26:13 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 10:13:00 +0100, Michael wrote:
3 > > I'm trying to understand why one PC in particular fails to start SDDM
4 > > since an update to x11-misc/sddm-0.18.1-r6 and ends up with a blank
5 > > page on VT7. I suspect some pam module malfunction, but I don't
6 > > understand why this happens or how to troubleshoot it. Interestingly,
7 > > if I restart the display-manager service manually, SDDM starts and no
8 > > longer exits. :-/
9 >
10 > Anything in Xorg.0.log?
11
12 The PC is a laptop, which is usually connected to ethernet. Following Neil's
13 prompt I just started it, without an ethernet cable connected, to check what
14 Xorg log shows . . . O_O
15
16 Well, what do you know! SDDM started properly, with mouse, GUI and all. No
17 pam_unix problem. I am now even more confused than before. Why would the
18 presence of an ethernet connection determine if SDDM starts and then exits, or
19 not? :-/