From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java install question
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:08:24
1 On 12/19/05, Felipe Ribeiro <felipernb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The basic difference between JDK and JRE is that jdk is the complete
3 > development environment that includes the compiler (javac), while jre
4 > just contains the basic VM to run the java code (.class and .jar
5 > files), so, if you need to compile a .java file, you will need the jdk
6 > but if you just need to run something that is already compiled, you
7 > just use the VM.
8 > JDK contains the VM.
9 >
10 > []s
11 > Felipe
12
13 So I just finished playing with this a bit more. Maybe it's an
14 implementation problem (there are a few...) but it doesn't seem this
15 simple.
16
17 There is a problem I'm having with Java in Linux overall. There is a
18 certain drop down menu, you know the one where there is a downward
19 pointing arrow where you hit the arrow and get a list of choices, and
20 it wasn't working. I had the blackdown-jre installed. I do not have
21 this problem on my Mac Mini (OS X 10.4.3) and I don't have this
22 problem on Win XP.
23
24 1) I tried all versions of blackdown-jre in portage. They all had this
25 problem. I get only one option and I do not get the arrow.
26
27 2) I added the blackdown-jdk to the mix. No change.
28
29 3) I installed the sun-jre-bin. No change. Didn't work.
30
31 4) I removed everything and reinstalled the sun-jre-bin. It started working.
32
33 5) I installed the blackdown-jdk. It failed again.
34
35 6) I removed the blackdown-jdk and restarted Firefox. It worked.
36
37 This all might make sense to an experienced Java person but to someone
38 like me, your normal, basic stupid user type, it makes no sense.
39 Combine that problem with the javascript problem, and some attitude
40 issues in the bug reporting system, and I just end up wondering if
41 it's worth it sometimes.
42
43 I don't get it. java-config -L said the sun-jre-bin VM was the one
44 being used but having the jdk installed created problems.
45
46 - Mark
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list