From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PC as USB client
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:58:30
1 daid kahl wrote:
2
3 > > Not really specific to gentoo, except that I want to do this with a
4 > > Gentoo PC: Is it possible to attach my Gentoo PC 'G' to another PC 'W'
5 > > (running Windows) via USB, so that G appears to be a removable media to
6 > > W? I think you need special USB cables with some electronics in the
7 > > middlle for that, and I saw such a solution for Windows. Does anybody
8 > > know if this is possible with Linux?
9 >
10 > Did you consider something like an ethernet cable and using samba? I
11 > haven't used my Linux drive specifically in another Windows machine,
12 > but samba works fine for using our network scanner (and I can browse
13 > the relevant filesystems setup in Samba).
14
15 The problem with this is that the PC is a closed system used for medical
16 ultrasound acquisitions, and I do not have access to it. So I cannot
17 configure any shares, and have to use what is already configured. The
18 software allows export of data to an USB stick, but I would like to avoid
19 having to move the stick around to the Linux PC afterwards.
20
21 Wonko