From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 00:14:03
1 On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 02:19:56PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote
2
3 > So there seems to be no real need to create a static linux kernel
4 > with ZFS inside.
5
6 See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap7
7
8 > Now go to File Systems and select support for the filesystems you use.
9 > Don't compile the file system you use for the root filesystem as
10 > module, otherwise your Gentoo system will not be able to mount
11 > your partition.
12
13 You can get away with most stuff as modules; ***BUT NOT THE ROOT
14 FILESYSTEM***. Think about it for a minute. Gentoo reads modules off
15 the disk. If the code for the root filesystem is a module, Gentoo would
16 have to read the module off the disk to enable it to read the module off
17 the disk... OOPS. This is a classic "chicken and egg" situation.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications