From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In need of script/command that will parse out all the packages from "emerge -avu world"
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:53:02
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:18:39 -0800
4 "Daevid Vincent" <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > This script doesn't use the --oneshot option when merging, so it will
7 > > add all updating packages to your world file. I hope you haven't used
8 > > this... :-(
9 >
10 > I don’t understand this --oneshot option? I've never used it in all my
11 > gentoo years. Why wouldn't I want packages in my world file? Isn't that how
12 > they get updated when new ones come out? Anything in my 'emerge -avu world',
13 > I would not have a --oneshot for, so why would I do it any different if I
14 > manually did 'emerge -av pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 ...'?
15
16 An "emerge -uD" will check all dependencies for updates. So that's how
17 one is supposed to make a full update. You most certainly don't want
18 all packages in your world file. This would include dependency packages
19 (e.g. libraries), which might not be dependencies tomorrow (changed
20 software, changed USE flags, etc.pp.). And when you do the occasional
21 "emerge --depclean", it can't take those "stale dependencies" into
22 account, because they are in the world file. So e.g. libraries not
23 linked anymore to anything would still be left on the precious disc
24 space, because they're in the world file.
25
26 I regularly take an editor and trim down my world file (I forget about
27 --oneshot very often) to the packages I want to use. Then I run "emerge
28 --depclean" to get rid of old cruft (to be sure, I could have done a
29 "emerge -pvDn world" before, but I trust myself enough not to shoot
30 myself in the foot).
31
32 -hwh
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list