From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading the kernel
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:12:36
1 On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 22:19 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 >
3 > I was kind of surprised to see that the gentoo kernel upgrade guide does
4 > indeed warn about `make oldconfig` (which isn't the same as warning about
5 > reusing old configs). So after digging a bit it turns out dsd has an
6 > explanation in his devspace.. ;)
7 >
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/make_oldconfig.htm
9
10 ohhh... My first reaction was to say "since when has Gentoo been about
11 dumbing down the options just to suit the ...er unenlightened?" Then I
12 thought "How crazy could you be not to _read_ what you're doing when
13 upgrading your kernel?" Of all things to upgrade this one would be
14 vaguely important! I closely read the output from make oldconfig, and
15 I've avoided all of these problems. Oh well, I'll continue to tinker
16 and break things - that's how I enjoy learning, but I guess it makes
17 sense to keep the upgrade guide as it is...
22 > Alan Cox wrote:
23 [..]
24
25 No I didnt. Someone else wrote that. Please keep attributions
26 straight.
27 -- From linux-kernel
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list