From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Before I lock out myself from my box...
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:01:36
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Happy new year! :)
5 >
6 > ...before I make my GENTOO box unaccessible to me ... ;)
7 >
8 > For rendering with blenders new Cycles GPU based renderer
9 > I want to setup my box as follows:
10 >
11 > Rendering should be done with the GTX 560 Ti nvidia card and
12 > the "normal" desktop (aka X11) should be handled via the
13 > GT 430 nvidia card.
14 >
15 > Both cards are already inserted into the box and seem to be
16 > recognized since lspci reports:
17 >
18 >    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
19 >    09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
20 >
21 > Nvidia-setting also reports both cards the 560 Ti one is recognized as
22 > GPU0 the other one as GPU1.
23 >
24 > Currently X11 uses the GTX560Ti and the GT430 is "idle" (has neither
25 > a "display-" nor "rendering-job").
28 > How can I move the "display-job" to the GT430 ? How can I urge X11 to
29 > exclusively use the GT430 for its purposes?
30 >
31 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
32 >
33 > Best regards,
34 > mcc
35
36 Probably need to see your xorg.conf file. I suspect it comes down to
37 how the two GPUs are identified there, and how the server layout is
38 done.
39
40 One heads up though about the directions you're going. It might
41 matter. It might not. In my case I have a GTX465 as my main card
42 driving two monitors, and then an 8400 GS driving the 3rd monitor.
43 OpenGL doesn't work at all on the 3rd monitor. I think the way that
44 stuff works is that it on;y works on the first card, with a possible
45 exception being that if you use two identical cards (which neither you
46 or I seem to be doing) then _maybe_ it will work on both.
47
48 Anyway, as I know nothing about your Blender stuff, if it requires
49 OpenGL you might be in for some additional work to get past this
50 issue. I haven't figured it out here but it hasn't been high priority.
51 I mostly just use the 3rd monitor for a NetFlix VM.
52
53 Good luck,
54 Mark