From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:32:25
1 Mark Knecht schreef:
2
3 >> Can you record audio from the command line? Or do the X-based
4 >> programs you use run under DirectFB? What I'm getting at is getting
5 >> rid of all the obstructions that could possibly interfere with the
6 >> kernel and introduce even more latency issues than what it already
7 >> has
8 > <snip>
9 >
10 > Good questions. I didn't say this earlier. I probably should have. If
11 > I boot this machine into a console mode (i.e. - no xdm/gdm) and run
12 > Jack in one console I can log in as root in another console, do
13 > emerges all day long and I get no xruns, at least with the small
14 > amount of testing I've done so far. This is using 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 so
15 > it has some new code but not all of Ingo's stuff.
16
17 OK, so X really is a problem, then. Now I really want to find a way to
18 get you rid of it.
22 >> I mean, X is a horrible hog, heaven only knows what effect your
23 >> nVidia or ATI kernel modules may be having on the ability of the
24 >> kernel to behave properly, since they also make demands on the
25 >> kernel that 'distract' it, as it were. And if Jack is a daemon
26 >> (which I know it is), it's not like it needs X for itself.
29 > Right, but as I say, much slower PCs are able to use the standard
30 > Gentoo kernel and run Gnome with no xruns. It's only this 3GHz 64-bit
31 > machine that has the problem. The sound card has been used in an
32 > Athlon XP 1600+ machine and it works fine so I trust its drivers at
33 > least in 32-bit mode.
34
35 Honestly, we don't care what much slower PCs can do, because this isn't
36 one of them, and we don't think there's something wrong with the sound
37 card. The issue is that this particular machine is a 64 bit one that
38 apparently needs special handling in order to minimize the pre-existing
39 latency issues with 64-bit kernels/drivers/environments so that you can
40 use it for what you intend to use it for. Other conditions are
41 irrelevant, imo.
44 >> It's of course quite possible that I'm talking out of my butt,
47 > Not the least bit possible. Your thought are clear and very coorect
48 > IMO.
49
50 :-)
54 >> since I am not a member of the Linux audio community, but I do know
55 >> that the first step in troubleshooting is to simplify the
56 >> environment as much as possible, and then slowly increase the
57 >> complexity to see when and where things break down.
60 > Absolutely. Hopefully with the additional info above you'll see that
61 > is what I've been doing, within my limited abilities to patch
62 > kernels, etc.
63
64 Patching the kernel isn't simplifying the environment if you're piling
65 possibly unnecessary additional demands on the kernel. The X server runs
66 on top of the kernel. The window manager runs on top of the X server,
67 which runs on top of the kernel. The whole thing is rather like a head
68 wound (the premise being that even non-serious head wounds tend to heavy
69 bleeding, obscuring the nature and severity of the wound itself). The
70 use of the X server, and anything but the lightest possible WM puts
71 additional stress on the system, which may be the straw that breaks the
72 camel's back in this case.
75 >> Were I you, I would consider:
76 >>
77 >> - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
78 >> (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
81 > Right. FVWM, fluxbox, etc. These can just be tested.
82
83 No, I really mean twm, ratpoison, ion and the like. FVWM can be
84 configured to be absolutely minimal, but learning to do that is an
85 unreasonable distraction. Fluxbox uses too much X (has to draw toolbars
86 and tabs and decorative windows). Even openbox might, and I don't know
87 enough about pekwm or kahakai to know if they would be appropriate.
88
89 If you must use X (which I will accept for the moment) for the GUI
90 applications, well, fine, but what I'm suggesting is a window manager
91 that uses the absolute minimum of X resources possible.
95 >> - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
96 >> DirectFB and seeing what effect that had. - If going cold-turkey
97 >> off X, seeing how far you get with the command-line and ncurses
98 >> programs.
101 > Neither are really acceptable as far as I know today.
104 >> Am I, in fact, talking out of my butt (since it seems that the
105 >> 'real' audio community would have tried at least some of this)? Or
106 >> are there reasons that this simplification process is not possible
107 >> for professional audio recording?
110 > As above - see Ardour, Jamin, Muse, Rosegarden, etc.
111
112 I'm not completely convinced that Ardour, Jamin, Muse and Rosegarden
113 won't run under DirectFB, but I'm not so experienced with DirectFB that
114 I can say definitively one way or the other.
115
116 I see that at least Muse does have an ncurses interface (or at least an
117 ncurses USE flag which would suggest that it has an ncurses interface).
118
119 And looking at the DirectFB site, it seems possible that there could be
120 a place for it to help work around the issue:
121
122 FusionSound
123 Audio sub system for multiple applications
124 FusionSound is a very powerful audio sub system in the manner of
125 DirectFB and a technical demonstration of Fusion.
126 FusionSound supports multiple applications using Fusion IPC. It
127 provides streams, static sound buffers and control over any number of
128 concurrent playbacks. Sample data is always stored in shared memory,
129 starting a playback simply adds an entry to the playlist of the mixer
130 thread in the master application.
131 FusionSound currently is a module of DirectFB. The current API is fully
132 implemented and the complete code is smaller than just the header file
133 of DirectFB! There's a complete API Reference to learn more about
134 FusionSound.
135 FusionSound future plans include interfaces for hardware/software
136 codecs, hardware gain control, device configuration and different device
137 backends (currently OSS only).
138
139 XDirectFB
140 Rootless X Server based on DirectFB
141 XDirectFB Screenshot
142 XDirectFB is a rootless X Server using DirectFB windows for X11
143 toplevel windows. This way you can adjust the opacity of every
144 application with your mouse wheel (while holding Meta down over a
145 window). More details about these shortcuts can be found in the DirectFB
146 README.
147 Window movements are initiated by the applications or the window
148 manager. The graphical movement is done by DirectFB using available
149 hardware acceleration.
150 Overlapping toplevel windows do not cause expose events, i.e. redrawing
151 of the window contents, as they are DirectFB windows and therefore have
152 an own surface, a.k.a. backing store.
153 You should use the CVS version, because the last release is too old.
154
155 Qt on DirectFB
156 qt-directfb is a GPLed DirectFB port of Qt based on Qt-X11 3.2.
157
158 Qingy (I've used this, it's nice enough. I mean, it's just a DM, after
159 all, so not much to say)
160 Qingy is a replacement of getty. Written in C, it uses DirectFB to
161 provide a fast, nice GUI without the overhead of the X Windows System.
162 It allows the user to log in and start the session of his choice (text
163 console, gnome, kde, wmaker, ...).
164
165 wyoDesktop
166 wyoDesktop is an effort to create a graphical desktop environment where
167 an ordinary user immediately feels comfortable through the use of a well
168 designed and consistent look and feel.
169
170 I know I'm very hardheaded (I have even been so evaluated by
171 professionals in vocational assessment testing, so it's really true),
172 but the upside is that I tend to believe that there is a solution or
173 workaround to most problems, and I tend to go a long way towards
174 twisting myself into a pretzel to find it (and the upside of that is
175 that if I tie myself into a pretzel and find nothing, then there's
176 really likely nothing to find).
177
178 I understand that serious audio recording has serious problems under
179 Linux, but I also know that many people are very interested in finding
180 solutions. I just wonder if many of those solutions may not lie 'outside
181 the box' at this time. It's within the realm of possibility that this
182 could all work effectively (if not elegantly), if radical changes were
183 made to the PC's setup, with the sole purpose of getting it working.
184
185 Oh and by the way-- I noticed that both directfb and ardour (I think it
186 was) seem to prefer Matrox cards. I've got two in the house (though only
187 one is mine), neither in use-- a G400 and a G400Max (but the fan on the
188 Max keeps falling off :) as I'm missing a screw I think, otherwise it's
189 fine).
190
191 Wanna discuss a trade for any old nVidia card you might have laying
192 around? Seriously.
193
194 Holly
195 --