From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:46:29
1 remove space in root (hda0, 1)
2
3 my kernel line also has devfs=nomount but probably this isnt needed if using
4 latest genkernel, dont know.
5
6 Martins
9 On Sunday 24 July 2005 20:23, C.Beamer wrote:
10 > Hi All,
11 >
12 > After getting side-tracked by a power outage in the middle of a Gentoo
13 > install a couple of weeks ago, I finally got back to doing a Gentoo
14 > install trial run.
15 >
16 > All seemed to go well. When I rebooted I got the menu with the two
17 > selections listed (Gentoo and DOS). The computer will boot into DOS
18 > okay, but I can't get it to boot into Gentoo. Ergo, I think the grub
19 > install is fine, but I made an error in my grub.conf file.
20 >
21 > Since I'm only moderately savvy about editing configuration files, I
22 > relied on the examples in the Gentoo Handbook.
23 >
24 > Details are as follows:
25 >
26 > I have a dual boot system:
27 >
28 > hda1 is DOS
29 > hda2 is /boot
30 > hda3 is swap
31 > hda4 is my extended partition
32 > hda5 is /root
33 >
34 > The grub.conf file that I entered is as follows:
35 >
36 > default 0
37 > timeout 30
38 >
39 > splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
40 >
41 > title=Genoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
42 >
43 > root (hda0, 1)
44 > kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192
45 > real_root=/dev/hda5 udev
46 > initrd /initrd-2.6.12-gentoo-r6
47 >
48 > title=DOS
49 > root (hda0,0)
50 > makeactive
51 > chainloader +1
52 >
53 > I put the initrd line in the grub.conf file even though when I ran the
54 > command
55 >
56 > 'ls /boot/kernel* /boot/initrd*'
57 >
58 > as instructed in the Handbook, I got told that there was no initrdfile.
59 >
60 > Have I missed something or done something wrong?
61 >
62 > Is there a way to fix the grub.conf file?
63 >
64 > I tried selecting the Gentoo line from the menu and pressing 'e' to
65 > edit, but no matter what changes I made, I still get an error message
66 > when I try to boot into Gentoo that says:
67 >
68 > Error 15: File not found
69 >
70 > This displays immediatedly after the line
71 >
72 > kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192
73 > real_root=/dev/hda5 udev
74 >
75 > Any assistance would be appreciated. And please remember, I am not
76 > stupid, but I'm not a computer science grad. I've been running Linux at
77 > home for about 3 years and dabbling with it for a couple of years before
78 > that, but I've always used Redhat or Fedora. However, I'm finding that
79 > with each release of Fedora, more "quirks" appear. Things that I was
80 > able to do with no problem in a previous release, I now can't do without
81 > "letting some blood". Hence, I wanted to try Gentoo because I can
82 > install the software from source using emerge. This will be a learning
83 > curve for me, but I can conquer it - I have come a long way since a
84 > friend first mentioned Linux to me and I asked what it was!
85 >
86 > Anyway, the point of the previous paragraph is to ask that complete
87 > details be stated for any help that is provided. And if you tell me
88 > that I "screwed up royally" and have to start all over, that's okay.
89 > That's what this exercise was for - to learn what I needed to know
90 > before installing Gentoo on a "production" system.
91 >
92 > BTW, I did a "Stage 3" install. Since it was my first time and I don't
93 > know anything about optimizations, I didn't want to get in over my
94 > head. :-)
95 >
96 > Thanks in advance for any assistance.
97 >
98 > Respectfully,
99 >
100 > Colleen