From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 14:23:23
1 On 2019-07-26 09:30, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Friday, 26 July 2019 05:36:29 BST YUE Daian wrote:
3 >> Hi folks,
4 >>
5 >> I use ntp-client to synchronize the date/time of my Gentoo system.
6 >>
7 >> I added it to the default boot level (OpenRC), however it seriously
8 >> slows down the boot process (around 10 seconds or so).
9 >>
10 >> Is there any way to make it faster? Or am I using the wrong service?
11 >
12 > It may be taking time to gather entropy. In that case you could install sys-
13 > apps/haveged and add it to your boot run-level.
14 >
15 > --
16 > Regards,
17 > Peter.
18
19 Well, I presume the problem is related to ntpdate itself.
20
21 It is working in a blocking way that the remaining boot processes have
22 to wait until the time got synchronized.
23
24 Is there any way to make it update the time in an asynchronize way?
25 Or should I use ntpd instead?
26
27 Thanks.
28