From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Can't start apache [solved]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:45:45
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. [mailto:bss03@××××××××××.net]
3 > Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:21 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't start apache [solved]
8 > On Thursday 17 May 2007, Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××.com> wrote
9 > about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Can't start apache [solved]':
10 > > Well not entirley happy it turns out as I can't get apache
11 > to handle
12 > > php.
13 > >
14 > > I added '-D PHP5' to APACHE2_OPTS in /etc/conf.d/apache2
15 > >
16 > > but when I restart apache i get this error:
17 > >
18 > > # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
19 > > * Apache2 has detected a syntax error in your configuration files:
20 > > apache2: Syntax error on line 495 of
21 > /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax
22 > > error on li ne 4 of /etc/apache2/modules.d/70_mod_php5.conf: API
23 > > module structure `php5_modu
24 > > le' in file /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so is garbled - perhaps
25 > > this is not
26 > > an Apache module DSO?
27 >
28 > Did you install php before or after apache? It probably needs to be
29 > recompiled against your current version. I'm stuck with a
30 > mod_ruby that
31 > gives the same error and won't recompile right now.
32
33 Apache uses a configuration file. Within that configuration file you
34 can assign application types and script handlers. That is the place to
35 handle the problem. You do not have to install an Apache specific
36 module. The Apache modules make things run much more quickly, by
37 partially implementing the language within the server, however it is
38 still possible to use without the specific modules. Simply make sure
39 the CGI module is loaded. If you have perl scripts that run properly,
40 then odds are you have everything you need installed to make PHP run
41 properly as long as you set the right options in the config file. This
42 is of course assuming you have PHP installed.
43
44 Check out the FAQ on the PHP web site, or the Apache web site. Both
45 sites have information on getting PHP running. :) Package managers are
46 great, but some things can be handled in a text editor. ^_^
47
48 ----
49 Kenneth M. Burling Jr
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list