From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Petition against ISPs 'phishing' their users
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:19:16
1 Hi All,
2
3 I know some may find this off topic and apologise in advance. Please don't
4 respond to this message as I do not want to consume more of the M/L
5 bandwidth. See the links below for relevant discussion forums.
6
7 Those of you who are in the UK and are using BT retail, Virgin Media and
8 Talk-Talk as your ISP, you would probably be quite alarmed to find out that
9 your Internet habits are recorded. In itself that's not bad, but the fact
10 that your Internet browsing behaviour is thereafter sold to an (ex) phishing
11 business (Phorm) which is incorporated in Delaware, US, with long history in
12 rootkits and spyware, is not exactly benign. Your data is stored in servers
13 in China and used to serve you adverts, tuned to your browsing history and
14 patterns. The recording of your data is not something you can opt out of -
15 other than going to another ISP that does not (yet) subscribe to Phorm. The
16 adverts you can apparently opt out of, by retaining a cookie in your browser
17 (opposite to conventional website practice).
18
19 If you want to voice your opposition to such practices in the UK and are
20 concerned about personal data privacy, then please sign the petition at the
21 bottom whether you use or not the 3 ISPs above. Of course if you do use the
22 3 culprits you may well wish to vote with your feet . . .
23
24 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_documents/
25
26 http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=PHORM
27
28 Long discussion here:
29 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61201.0.html (although
30 Plusnet do not engage in such practices on their own network).
31
32 I understand that there are big threads in Virgin Media and BT forums too.
33
34 Petition here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
35
36 Thank you for your attention.