From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:07:09
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > My son is
3 > a Windows user for playing games. I do not want him using Windows when
4 > he chooses since the gaming gets in the way of school, as it should
5 > for any healthy 14 year old boy. ;-)
6
7 If you're using an NT-based version of windows (NT4, 2000, XP, or one of
8 those fancy Vista previews), you can use the Administrator account (or
9 any user with admin rights, e.g. your wife) to disable your son's
10 account when he isn't allowed to be gaming. Or, change his password to
11 something of your choice, and type it in for him when he is allowed to
12 play, same as you would at the GRUB prompt.
13
14 And if you're using a Windows <NT4, I hope for your sake it doesn't have
15 network drivers installed. :)
16
17 > What I really want is when the machine turns on he gets Linux
18 > unless myself or my wife grants him access to Windows.
19
20 How's your C? ;)
21
22 HTH.