From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] synchronizing 2 portables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:01:48
1 Hello,
2
3 I need to keep 2 portables synchronzied, particularly the /home/* files
4 and the various ebuilds that are installed need to be the same.
5
6 To Sychronize the /home/ files, I found unison. Any commnents
7 or other recommendations?
8
9 AS far as keeping the installed packages /ebuilds/ concurrent,
10 in some sort of semi-automated method, I'd settle for a script
11 I could run that would check the installed packages, on both
12 portablesand give a list of packages on the one that are not
13 ont he second machine. Kind of like a 'diff for ebuilds' that
14 would list the missing packages on the second portable.
15
16 The ideas is to always have the older, second portable ready to
17 go in case the first portable has issues (hardware or software),
18 or the environment is particularly lacking in industrial hygiene,
19 so as to only risk damage to the older portable on an optional
20 basis.
23 Ideas and comments are welcome.
24
25 James