From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups and snapshots [Was: Organising btrfs subvolumes]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 10:54:53
1 On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > "app-backup/dar" uses catalogues for the incrementals. I think I will stick to
3 > that for the foreseeable future.
6 I used to use that and sarab (which is a wrapper). I moved on to
7 duplicity. The problem with dar is that it uses quite a bit of RAM as
8 the number of files being backed up grows I think. So, if you have
9 6TB full of multimedia it might not be a huge problem, but if you have
10 6TB full of portage trees good luck with that.
11
12 The other problem with dar is that if a file changes it stores a
13 complete copy of it. Duplicity uses librsync, so if a file changes it
14 only stores the parts that actually changed. It also uses catalogs,
15 and supports things like caching catalogs (so you don't need the last
16 incremental mounted), and a bunch of storage backends (like S3).
17
18 However, dar definitely is more useful than tar if you want the option
19 for random access.
20
21 Rich