From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: lm_sensors much hotter in 2.6.31 than 2.6.28
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:04:56
1 On 10/25/2009 11:37 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > After upgrading from 2.6.28 to 2.6.31, I noticed my CPU temperatures
3 > are reported a full 20C hotter. If I load the old kernel, the
4 > reported temperatures drops back down to normal. Has anyone else seen
5 > this?
6
7 If you're using coretemp as sensor, the temps are always off (the
8 coretemp sensor of Intel chips is not accurate, not by any stretch of
9 the imagination.) It only reports the distance to the CPU's maximum
10 thermal junction, which then the coretemp driver *tries* to translate
11 into a temperature, but the result is wrong since the value reported by
12 the CPU is not accurate to start with (it only gets accurate as you
13 approach the max value). That maximum value is totally undocumented for
14 desktop CPUs (the docs Intel provided recently are wrong.)
15
16 You should use your mainboard's sensors instead for accurate values.