From: RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <king@××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb webcam
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:58:09
1 Ok first let me apologize for my impatiens in bumping my thread in retrospect I guess it was pretty rude. Also I would like to apologize for not following the intelligent way to ask a question essay. However i have read it in the past just not recently, have to admit I got lazy and just fired this post up without much thought. Mostly frustrated as it seemed like a fairly simple issue something I assumed that most people with Gentoo experience would have a quick answer for. Again my apologizes having goggled around all day or two, and finding that most of the helpful hints regarding my topic were dead ie wiki is down, plus working with google cache is troublesome.
2
3 Anyway on with the webcam problems i have emerged gspcav1 and loaded the module
4
5 # lsmod
6 Module Size Used by
7 gspca 620752 0
8
9 but the cameras are still only detected as usb devices and no drivers are being loaded.
10
11 PLEASE can someone help me with this issue are there other kernel modules i can try? other packages to emerge? if so what are they? here is a lsusb of the 2 devices
12
13 Bus 003 Device 006: ID 046d:08f5 Logitech, Inc.
14 Bus 003 Device 007: ID 04c1:009d U.S. Robotics (3Com) HomeConnect WebCam [vicam]
15
16 this is how they show up in /etc/messages
17
18 Oct 18 18:43:35 huang usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
19 Oct 18 18:43:35 huang usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
20 Oct 18 18:43:45 huang hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
21 Oct 18 18:43:46 huang usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
22 Oct 18 18:43:46 huang usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
23
24 ps i have had these cameras work in ubuntu, mandrake, pclinux (none are as cool as Gentoo) so i am guessing that gentoo should work too!
27 ----
28 Computer King & CaN Mail - Sales Service Hosting Backup
29
30 http://www.computerking.ca http://www.canmail.org
31
32 NEW!!! Custom Service Packages
33 Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online Accounting Packages
34
35 ----- "Dirk Heinrichs" <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
36