From: Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change in kernel netfilter config causes an error
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 10:59:04
1 On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:12:25PM +0200, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I just compiled kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r3 and it now causes an iptables
5 > error when the machine boots. Any ideas how I can fix it?
6
7 The kernel iptables implementation changed somewhat between 2.6.15 and
8 2.6.16. In particular, "make oldconfig" won't set things up
9 correctly. You'll need to run "make menuconfig", and check the
10 iptables section.
11
12 Note that you *will* need to compile in Xtables support as well as
13 iptables (Networking -> Networking Options ->
14 Network Packet Filtering -> Core Netfilter Configuration ->
15 Netfilter Xtables support).
16
17 If you use genkernel, I can't help you, since I don't.
20 > Here is some supporting information.
21 >
22 > Boot error looks like this:
23 > =====================
24 > # /etc/init.d/iptables restart
26 > iptables-restore v1.3.4: iptables-restore: unable to initializetable 'nat'
27
28 This is because your new kernel doesn't have NAT compiled in. It
29 probably doesn't have any iptables support at all at the moment.
30
31 HTH,
32
33 Toby Cubitt
34 --
35 PhD Student
36 Quantum Information Theory group
37 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
38 Garching, Germany
39
40 email: toby@××××××××.org
41 web: www.dr-qubit.org