From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Checking an HD for problems
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:27:40
1 On 22 Sep 2010, at 17:46, Grant wrote:
2 > ... I noticed some errors when I was cp -ax'ing everything
3 > from my old drive to the new drive which were accompanied by loud
4 > clicks. Is there a way to do a comprehensive test/check of the old
5 > drive to see if it has any problems?
6
7 You don't need to do a test. The disk that is making the noises is f**ked.
8
9 Assuming that it's the old drive that is knackered, and if you're not certain that all important data has been copied correctly, then use GNU ddrescue (there is more than one dd_rescue, and GNU's is the best one) to do a bitwise clone of the data. Follow the examples in the manual to do multiple passes - the first pass will get most of the data from good sectors, subsequent passes will make repeated attempts at the bad sectors.
10
11 Stroller.