From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-140
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:55:41
1 On Montag 16 März 2009, Justin wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Montag 16 März 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> A quick heads-up if you upgrade to the latest udev in portage.
5 > >>
6 > >> Don't do what I did and postpone the etc-update step till later, forget
7 > >> about it in the rush of trying to get work done, and then need to
8 > >> reboot. When the machine boots, sysfs does not mount, the proc init
9 > >> script fails and everything thereafter fails.
10 > >>
11 > >> I suppose it's possible to boot into single user mode and manually edit
12 > >> the files in /etc. But in my case it was not at all obvious that this
13 > >> was what I had to do.
14 > >>
15 > >> I had to boot off a rescue USB stick and chroot to see what was
16 > >> happening.
17 > >
18 > > me too - and it wasn't even a voluntary reboot. I stepped on the switch
19 > > of the power chord - and first I thought my raid was fucked up :(
20 > > Luckily I have an usb stick with systemrescuecd on it around - booted
21 > > from it, mounted everything, chroot+cfg-update
22 > >
23 > > But it sucked. A lot. devfs never was such troublesome.
24 >
25 > Hey guys ,
26 >
27 > always read post emerge messages!! Portage always tells me when to update
28 > config files!
29
30 yes, but that does not help you in case of an accidental power failure before
31 you had a chance to update the config files.