From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:17:16
1 On 7/30/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:49:42PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On 7/30/06, John J. Foster <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Thanks very much. It's a great solution for what I need.
5 > >
6 > > It does limit the use of Windows, which is what I wanted, until the
7 > > password is typed in. Once typed in it also seems to allow changing
8 > > the boot time options on Linux, but in my son's case I'm not the least
9 > > bit worried he's going to try anything there.
10 > >
11 > Mark - from
12 >
13 > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Security
14 >
15 > You can also use the command password instead of lock. In this case the
16 > boot process will ask for the password and stop if it was entered
17 > incorrectly. Since the password takes its own PASSWORD argument this is
18 > useful if you want different passwords for different entries.
21 Festus,
22 Thanks. Even better!
23
24 Cheers,