From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 14:05:25
1 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2017, 12:04:03 CET schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 >> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:06:29 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Some historical correctnesses about Canek:
5 >>>
6 >>> - He has been here for years
7 >>> - He has contributed here for years
8 >>> - He supports systemd and has offered more help and explanation about
9 >>> systemd to it's users on this list than any other single person, bar
10 >>> none
11 >>> - He has never, not once, slagged off SysV Init, OpenRC or any other
12 >>> init system, ot the creators or the users
13 >>> - He has never posted rude or inflamatory comments about anyone arguing
14 >>> against him
15 >>> - He has never resorted to ad-hominem and never posted any knee jerk
16 >>> opinions about any other poster wrt their stance on init systems
17 >>>
18 >>> If we look at the reverse we see a very different picture, and it's
19 >>> right here in this very thread. To the poster who rudely commented about
20 >>> Canek being a professor and that doesn't make him right and that he is
21 >>> one voice, step back pal and take a very long hard look at what you
22 >>> said. Yes, it doesn't make him right. Also doesn't make him wrong. His
23 >>> posts and the content are what make him right or wrong. There truly are
24 >>> fan bois on this list, but Canek is not one of them. It's the
25 >>> systemd-haters and Poeterring-haters who are being fan bois, painting
26 >>> all detractors with the same brush.
27 >> +1
28 >>
29 >> It was Canek's rational explanations about systemd that made me
30 >> interested enough to try it, and I'm glad I did. He made good technical
31 >> arguments in favour of it whereas most of the arguments against it are
32 >> either based on Lennartphobia or false fact gained from other systemd
33 >> haters.
34 > +1 to both Alan and Neil.
35 >
36 >> I also see the position as somewhat different with Gentoo, because openrc
37 >> is so much better than the other "traditional" systems out there, in fact
38 >> it shares some of the benefits of systemd. As a result, I run a mixture
39 >> of both systems. I prefer systemd now, but not enough to go through the
40 >> hassle of switching over an already working system. That wouldn't be the
41 >> case if those other systems weren't running openrc.
42 > That echoes my own sentiment pretty well. OpenRC is one reason I stayed with
43 > Gentoo, because it seemed better to me than the way other distros did things
44 > (well, better than Suse, at least, which was the other distro I tried way back
45 > then).
46 >
47 > However, now I default to systemd, because for me it's even better than
48 > OpenRC. Plus, I don't have so many systems that I couldn't migrate them all
49 > :-) .
53 And yet Canek is the only person on this mailing list to EVER get on my
54 blacklist for his posts.  That was years ago.  To this day, I don't get
55 any of his messages or read anything quoted from him.  Even the troll
56 who had his own script, kept griping about Gentoo and its update process
57 and refused to listen to anyone didn't make it to the blacklist level.
58 Eventually, some comrel member or something booted them off the list.
59
60 I have to say, -1 for me.  He managed to join a extremely exclusive club
61 with me.  He sits on a blacklist that no one else ever managed to get on.
62
63 Dale
64