From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I need NUMA set up in my kernel?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:38:23
1 On Thursday, 23 September 2021 17:32:46 BST Charlotte Delenk wrote:
2 > On 9/23/21 18:30, Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 9/23/21 4:39 AM, Miles Malone wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> You'd need NUMA if you had a NUMA machine. In current context, that
7 > >> would be either a) a dual socket system, b) an amd threadripper, or
8 > >> c) some of the really high core xeons. If your motherboard doesnt
9 > >> have certain memory banks allocated to certain processors or cores,
10 > >> you're probably not running a NUMA machine.
14 > > Will a kernel without NUMA support boot and run on a system that has a
15 > > NUMA architecture?
19 > > If it will boot and run, does it simply do so in a sub-optimal way?
20 >
21 > Pure speculation for this one but if it works it's probably only going
22 > to detect part of the memory and some of the devices and one cpu, since
23 > the other resources are physically connected to the other cpus.
27 > > Flipping the coin on the other side, is there any negative effect
28 > > (other than kernel size / lines of code / attack surface) for having
29 > > NUMA support enabled on a non-NUMA system?
30 >
31 > There is no meaningful downside to leaving it enabled, it's enabled in
32 > many distribution kernels for a reason.
33
34 I've booted a kernel with no NUMA config, and it seems to run fine on this
35 single-socket Ryzen motherboard. I just get the one entry in dmesg:
36
37 $ dmesg | grep -i numa
38 [ 0.297998] pci_bus 0000:00: on NUMA node 0
39
40 That's it. I'm running five BOINC projects, some of which run on vbox, so on
41 this motherboard it seems clear that I don't need NUMA.
44 Regards,
45 Peter.