From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Raid install via ubuntu
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:17:41
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
5
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
7
8 Yes I tried this link and ended up with a system that would not boot.
9
10 Something everyone but Neil is missing, is using the Ubuntu to setup the
11 raid array to where the system will reboot. Then install Gentoo.
12 That's why I cannot make any of the gentoo_ish install methods work.
13
14 I've built dozens of gentoo systems, over the years, without many issues.
15 I've spent way too much time trying to get a working raid1 install.
16
17 Grub2, fstab examples, fdisk, 4K sector issues, gpt. It's all too screwy
18 on gentoo install media and poorly documented. For peak sake, the
19 livedvd-12 does not even have gptfdisk on it.
20
21 So I'm going to install raid1 via ubuntu and then install gentoo over
22 it. That way, the dual raid1 disks should be setup and the install
23 will mostly mirror the handbook.
24
25 Maybe that will work.... Maybe not, but, I'm done with
26 Gentoo's lack of current (or poor) documentation on raid et all.
27 That's the reason that grub2 is still masked: no current documentation.
28
29 The handbook still says to use fdisk to prepare 4K sector hard drives,
30 there is no GPT formatting tools; and too much out of date information.
31
32 The doc folks just ignore the obvious; been down that path too.
33 Hell, I've even to pay folks to just bring any of the numerous
34 (onerous) raid install docs up to date; to no avail.
35
36 thanks for the input.
37 James