From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 4.9.77 error segfault in compile.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:59:50
1 On 23/01/18 17:35, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >> Wonderful ... just finished a complete reload of Gentoo. Now have to
3 >> redo it again ...
4 >> ... the mistake? I used ext2/ext3 for the fs.
5 >>
6 > Abandoning ext4 over retpolines/etc seems a bit drastic. My guess is
7 > that there is a bug in the latest kernel that will get fixed, or maybe
8 > a bug in gcc (which needs to be patched for spectre anyway).
9
10 Did you use the ext2/ext3 driver? I believe it's been abandoned?
11
12 The ext4 driver is compatible with 2/3 file systems, so as I understand
13 it all development effort goes into the ext4 driver, and any problems
14 with the older drivers is likely to be met with "upgrade your driver".
15
16 So if you were using that driver, it could be suffering bit-rot.
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol