From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Network Speed
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 04:27:42
1 I noticed something today. For some reason, when I'm running a Gentoo
2 Live-CD to rebuild this system (as I am now in the finishing stages of
3 once again) I get really speedy data xfer rates over my cable link
4 pulling files from portage mirrors. I noticed that 1.2MB/s was average
5 which is correct because I think my ISP runs around 10Mbit or there
6 abouts. However, when I rebooted the machine, pulling files from the
7 same mirror(s) now seems to go much slower (say, 170KB/s tops). Come to
8 think of it, I have noticed that difference before. I never get xfer
9 rates normally like I do when running the live-cd.
10
11 During the install, I run net-setup and just tell it to use dhcp (my
12 router issues addresses which is fine when doing an install since the
13 system isn't really set up to be interesting to anyone else yet). When I
14 am all set for production again, I use the same settings, hardcoded, as
15 the router receives from the modem and passes to clients, just a
16 different address obviously.
17
18 So my question seems to be: What might the live-cd be doing which I am
19 not? Is it something in the kernel or could the xfer rate be throttled
20 somewhere, etc?
21
22 Ideas? Thanks.
23