From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motherboard support?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:30:37
1 On Thu 29 Sep 2011 06:42:42 AM IST, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
2 > On 09/29/2011 04:46 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
4 >>> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
5 >>> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
6 >>>
7 >>> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
8 >>> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L& 880GM-USB3
9 >>>
10 >>> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
11 >>> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> I used this site to get this:
15 >>
16 >> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
17 >>
18 >> That's one of them and I think I saw another one from your list. May I
19 >> make a suggestion tho. It looks like those have a built in video
20 >> system, get a separate video card. Of all the video issues I have ever
21 >> had on Linux, it has been built in video cards. There are other good
22 >> reasons for this too, heat being one of them.
23 >>
24 >> As to Gigabyte as a brand, I have a 770 based mobo and it works great.
25 >> It's worth every penny and then some. I have also had good luck with
26 >> Abit several years ago. I have installed on a MSI before too and it was
27 >> stable.
28 >>
29 >> If you want to research other mobos, start here:
30 >>
31 >> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
32 >>
33 >> There are two ways to do this. If you have the mobo and can, paste the
34 >> output of lspci -n in the box. If you are researching and don't have
35 >> the mobo yet, click on the links on the left to see if the one you are
36 >> looking for is in the list. When researching a mobo, I find that site
37 >> invaluable to say the least.
38 >>
39 >> Hope that helps.
40 >>
41 >> Dale
42 >>
43 >> :-) :-)
46 > That's debian HCL, what about Gentoo? We compile the kernel ourselves man.
47 > It would be better if we don't use debian/Ubuntu HCL to decide HW for
48 > other distros, they're most popular ones and have lot of support from
49 > hardware manufacturers, hence good support for hardware using
50 > propreitary drivers which is seldom present in other distros.
53 I just checked that HCL:
54 http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
55 It seems things are supported since linux-2.6.25, we're now using 3.0.4
56 and above. Should be OK right?
59 Nilesh Govindarajan
60 http://nileshgr.com