From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 04:46:47
1 On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:21:25PM -0700, Penguin Lover lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com squawked:
2 > > Well, I recently switched to the binary version and to my surprise I
3 > > found that it is much faster than the self compiled version. Especially
4 > > the interface is much more responsive in the binary version. I don't know
5 > > how it could be. Makes me really wonder where else I'm loosing speed on
6 > > Gentoo...
7 >
8 > How did you "switch to a binary version?" How did you do that? I didn't know
9 > you could use emerge and not compile it. Unless, of course, you aren't using
10 > emerge...
11
12 [12:29 AM]wwong ~ $ emerge search mozilla-firefox-bin
13 Searching...
14 [ Results for search key : mozilla-firefox-bin ]
15 [ Applications found : 1 ]
16
17 * www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
18 Latest version available: 1.0.8
19 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
20 Size of downloaded files: 24,192 kB
21 Homepage: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox
23 License: MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1
26 In fact, for lots of large packages there are binary/precompiled versions
27 available in portage, usually with the -bin suffix.
28
29 W
32 I remember walking to school through the snow,
33 uphill both ways, in my bare feet. Oh, now wait...
34 never mind, that was my father.
35 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 173 days, 20:56
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list