From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop resurrection...
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:53:11
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4 > 2009/12/2 BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>:
5 > > I'm still working to get my laptop back up; I have one more thing to try.
6 > > Presently, I am having a problem with the compiling a 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 kernel that actually works. It might be a processor issue - linux reports it as a
7 > > Pentium M which is what I have selected during 'make menuconfig', but the the grub keeps reporting that it is not a recognized format or something to that effect, so it won't load it.
8 > > Questions:
9 > > 1) I am using the Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD to boot with, then chroot'ing into my installation to build the kernel. I shouldn't need a newer LiveCD, correct?
10 > Correct as long as it recognise your hardware.
11
12 Thanks.
13
14 > > 2) Grub doesn't need to be re-run (e.g. running the grub prompt and going through the install procedure) after changes to the menu file, correct?
15 > Correct, assuming you have installed GRUB correctly in the first instance
16
17 Thanks
18
19 > - which makes me ask:
20 > What is your exact error message?
21
22 I'll post that tonight.
23
24 ----- Original Message ----
25 From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
26 > I got that error when I copied the wrong kernel image to /boot, make
27 > sure you are copying the one detailed in the gentoo handbook (chapter 7, I think).
28
29 The last kernel I copied in I copied the file specified by the kernel's README: arch/<arch>/boot/bzImage - <arch> being x86.
30
31 Though according to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml it should be arch/i386/boot/bzImage...not sure which is right off hand.
32 Will check into it tonight.
33