From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB printer and new cups
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:57:01
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 15 May 2010 22:56:22 Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > I want to setup an USB printer. So I http://localhost:631/, and
6 > > notice that the interface has changed. And when I try to add a
7 > > printer, the only options for a local printer are SCSI-printer and
8 > > HAL printing backend. And on the next screen, I have to enter the
9 > > device URI by hand. How should I know what to enter there? And
10 > > wasn't there an autodetect feature? Is the new CUPS (1.4.3)
11 > > generally behaving like this lately, or is something wrong with my
12 > > setup?
13 > >
14 > > The usb use flag is set. lsusb shows the printer as "Bus 001 Device
15 > > 003: ID 04a9:10a5 Canon, Inc. iP5200".
16 > >
17 > > What is a HAL printing backend? Do I have to add some crazy fdi stuff
18 > > for the printer? CUPS does not even have a hal use flag. Dale, help!
19 >
20 > Did you ever get this printer working with this particular gentoo
21 > installation?
22
23 I never used an USB printer at all. But I installed a lot of network
24 printers, and one local parallel printer. I could select the device in the
25 web frontend then, it had stuff like 'LPT #1' or 'USB Printer #1' in the
26 device menu.
27
28 The Gentoo Printing Howto has this:
29
30 USB Printer #1 Select this when the printer is locally attached to a
31 USB port. The printer name should automatically be
32 appended to the device name.
33
34 But I see no USB printer here.
35
36 > If not have you seen this page:
37 >
38 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Canon_Pixma_Series
39 >
40 > They make suggestions for drivers that may work. CUPs requires that
41 > you have installed the correct drivers for your device first. Sorry I
42 > can't help more. Last time I tried to get a canon working was more
43 > than 5 years ago and I couldn't find a driver or ppd info at the time.
44
45 Thanks, this made me install gutenprint which claims to support the
46 printer directly. I thought I had to use the iP4200 driver and hope it
47 would work.
48
49 But my main problem is another one: How do I tell CUPS which device my
50 printer is? I tried usb:/dev/usb/lp0 (found this notation when googling
51 'usb printer device uri'), but nothing happens when I try to print.
52
53 And now it gets really crazy: In the printer overview I see not only the
54 'iP5200' I just created, but also a 'iP52002' that has the device URI
55 'usb://Canon/iP5200'. What did create this?!
56
57 But printing to that does not work either.
58
59 Wonko