From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: New Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:53:28
1 >
2 > Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes <at> mcaschool.net> writes:
3 >
4 > > > Here's a random list of ideas that may ease the pain of
5 conversion.
6 > > >
7 > > > 1. backup the existing system
8 > > >
9 > > > 2. Run lspci -vv, lshw, and discover to document the hardware
10 > > > under ubuntu before beginnning the conversion. USBview can be
11 valuable
12 > > > is you have usb devices.
13 > > >
14 > > > 3. Save the.config file for building a kernel or the existing
15 kernel
16 > > > under ubuntu
17 > > >
18 > > > 4. Save the hdparm settings on the existing drive, as well as the
19 > > > /etc/fstab
20 > > > and xorg or xfree configuration files. In fact a second backup of
21 > > /etc/
22 > > > and any other valuable config files is a good idea.
23 > > >
24 > > > 5. Boot the laptop with the most recent liveCD (gentoo) and see
25 what
26 > > works
27 > > > and
28 > > > what does not work.
29 > > >
30 > > > 6. Research all hardware device driver issues before making the
31 > > > commitment.
32 > > >
33 > > > 7. Save a 'dmesg' log file.
34 > > > hth,
35 > > >
36 > > > James
37
38 [Timothy A. Holmes]
39 > > [Timothy A. Holmes]
40 > >
41 > > James -- thanks so much for your help and ideas -- they all sound
42 like
43 > > excellent suggestions -- I will comment on each one below
44 > >
45 > > 1. Thankfully -- I am actually going to be installing on a totally
46 new
47 > > hdd, so the backup issue is not really there, the drives will become
48 > > interchangeable, and once the linux one is fully working, the
49 original
50 > > one will be reformatted as a windows drive for the rare case that
51 the
52 > > box would need it
53 >
54 > Well the first thing is to keep your replies, inline, so we can follow
55 > the discussion.
56 > >
57 > > 2. Those sound good -- ive never messed with them, I'm assuming that
58 all
59 > > of them have appropriate man pages?
60 > >
61 > They are very easy to use
62 >
63 > I'm not familiar with ubuntu, but first find the package, install it
64 > in each case and then:
65 >
66 > lspci -vv > lspci.results
67 >
68 > lshw > lshw.results
69 >
70 > discover > discover.results
71 >
72 > dmesg > dmesg.results.date
73 >
74 > putting them on a floppy for example:
75 > mcopy lspci a:
76 > mcopy lshw.results a:
77 > mcopy discover.results
78 > mcopy dmesg.results.date a:
79 >
80 > > 3. On this one - the kernel is the default one packaged with Ubuntu,
81 I
82 > > have done updates out of synaptic, but have not configured it at
83 all. I
84 > > don't know how to get a config file for it -- can you point me to a
85 > > reference, or give me some instructions
86 >
87 > Not familiar with ubuntu. uname -r should give the kernel version
88 > then download sources (ask a ubuntu person for details)
89 >
90 > cd /usr/src
91 > ln -sf /usr/src/[ubuntu-kernel-source /usr/src/linux
92 > cd /usr/src/linux
93 > make meuconfig (hopefully, it'll pick up your default
94 > options from the existing kernel)
95 >
96 > (save menuconfig without making changes)
97 >
98 > make
99 >
100 > then copy the /usr/src/linux/.config file to the floppy
101 > (it should look like roughly like this:
102 >
103 > <snip>
104 > #
105 > # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
106 > # Linux kernel version: 2.6.12-gentoo-r9
107 > # Sat Sep 3 07:37:47 2005
108 > #
109 > CONFIG_X86=y
110 > CONFIG_MMU=y
111 > CONFIG_UID16=y
112 > CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
113 > CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
114 >
115 > #
116 > # Code maturity level options
117 > #
118 > CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
119 > CONFIG_CLEAN_COMPILE=y
120 > CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL=y
121 > CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32
122 > <snip>
123 >
124 > after you build a kernel for the gentoo system, you can see
125 > what options(trickery) the ubuntu masters used to create their
126 > disk. Note. You may have to add steps to this, it's just an outline.
129 > > 4. sounds good -- again thankfully -- it's a drive swap rather than
130 an
131 > > overwrite
132 > >
133 > > 5. Definatly will do
134 > >
135 > > 6. Also sounds good
136 > >
137 > > 7. How do I do this???
138 >
139 > on ubuntu
140 >
141 > dmesg > dmesg.ubuntu.date
142 > mcopy dmesg.ubuntu.date a:
145 > > Thanks again to you and all who have commented, Please keep those
146 > > comments coming -- im loving this
147 >
148 > good luck, and with gentoo it's all about learning and enjoying
149 > the journey...... all things are possible, in time.
150 >
151 > I John 4:8,9
152 > James
153 [Timothy A. Holmes]
154
155 James -thanks a bunch -- this project is defiantly a go, it is a
156 question of timing -- if we get a snow day tomorrow (im praying we do) I
157 will begin working tomorrow -- I just discovered that the new hdd that I
158 have for it (originally ordered for a different laptop) is basically
159 identical to the one that is in the box, it's a bit faster (5400 rpm vs
160 4300) but otherwise identical, so that is one hurdle cleared.
161
162 If we don't get the snow day, I will start on it after Christmas break
163 starts
164
165 Thanks again
166