From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:30:45
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The gcc update just failed to compile on one of my systems with a
3 > segfault, but then succeeded after trying again even though I didn't
4 > change anything.  Does that indicate a hardware problem for sure?
5 > Should I run memtester?  Any other tests to run?  Nothing in dmesg.
6 >
7 > - Grant
10 Might be.....might be nothing. Maybe a stray neutrino hit your
11 processor at just the wrong instant. ;-)
12
13 More likely i my mind is some little corner condition in the software
14 running on your system. I've had the same thing happen many times
15 actually, and actually a few more times since I started playing with
16 your /etc/make.conf -j/-l values which push the system a little
17 harder. I wouldn't personally file a bug or even worry about it much
18 unless it becomes a common occurrence.
19
20 HTH,
21 Mark