From: Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setup samba server
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:01:15
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > I'm trying to setup a samba server on my gentoo system to share a few different
4 > directories. I want user authentication, so I can say user A has access to dir
5 > nr.1, user B to dir nr.1 and nr.2 etc. and appropriately set permissions on the
6 > gentoo server.
7 >
8 > I started by using the default samba config (smb.conf) shipped with the gentoo
9 > ebuild. In [global] I set
10 >
11 > security = user
12 > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
13 >
14 > and in the shares I set
15 >
16 > public = no
17 > writeable = yes
18 > browseable = yes
19 > printable = no
20 > valid users = david
21 >
22 > When I try to create a smb user with smbpasswd -a it tells me
23 >
24 > # smbpasswd -a david
25 > New SMB password:
26 > Retype new SMB password:
27 > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user david.
28 > Failed to modify password entry for user david
29 >
30 > Can anyone guide me to a correct setup. My research on google and groups.google
31 > didn't help me much.
34 Just off the wall here, but is the david in the samba group? Check if
35 not add david to samba goup (/etc/group) and try again.
38 "When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
39 stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for
40 free". - Linus Torvalds, 1995
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list