From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 22:25:39
1 On 02/03/2022 22:01, Dale wrote:
2 > If unsure, post the model and I'm sure someone can tell you if
3 > it is CMR or SMR.  CMR = good, SMR = bad in some, maybe most,
4 > circumstances.  I don't know how true this is but I've read SMR and RAID
5 > is bad, btfrs(sp?) and similar file systems can also be bad.  Research
6 > and weigh based on what will work for you.  SMR can save you some cash,
7 > sometimes.
8
9 The Seagate is a BarraCuda. Not a Barracuda. Note the slightly different
10 spelling.
11
12 All new BarraCudas are SMR.
13
14 I think the WD is a Black, which is also almost certainly SMR. WD
15 shafted a lot of people by shipping SMR and not telling anyone. At least
16 Seagate appear to have been open about it.
17
18 And yes, raid and SMR do not go well together.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol