From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.6.32 and FAT file names
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:01:32
1 On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Oh dear. As I read all the stuff about 2.6.32 changing long filename
3 > handling for VFAT filesystems to avoid Microsoft patent problems, I
4 > didn't think it mattered much to me, since I only use FAT when getting
5 > pictures from a camera or USB stick. Now I find that filenames are
6 > all upper case where they weren't before.
7 >
8 > I see a bunch of mount options to use lower case filenames, but what I
9 > would really like to do is restore the old behavior, whatever it was,
10 > with a 2.6.32 kernel. Is there such an option, either building a
11 > kernel or mounting a filesystem?
12
13 I haven't noticed any difference with any of my vfat devices in
14 2.6.32. Filenames have mixed-case and seem usual. Where did you read
15 about 2.6.32 changing long filename handling? I can't find any info
16 about it.