From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:25:28
1 > >> I can imagine situations where you'd want to print invoices
2 > >> and the like at front offices or even remote storefronts and
3 > >> locations, but wouldn't you want a VPN up between your remote
4 > >> offices anyway?
5 > >
6 > > That's more or less what I'm trying to do. Is setting up a
7 > > VPN between my remote server and local network overkill?
8 >
9 > It sounds like the right thing to do to me. Once you've got a
10 > VPN set up, then everything else "just works". You'll probably
11 > end up spending less time seting up one well-secured
12 > general-purpose connection (VPN) than you would futzing around
13 > with various security wrappers and kludges for various
14 > clients/servers.
15 >
16 > > I think the only thing I'd use it for is to hide the sending
17 > > of these printouts.
18 >
19 > Once it's up, they're be other things you'll use it for. :)
20
21 Ok, no RSA certs, no non-standard port numbers, just use openvpn?
22
23 So I would set up openvpn on my remote server and connect to it from:
24
25 1. my local print server for printing
26
27 2. my laptop for ssh and imap
28
29 Could I also only allow access to my website's admin pages through openvpn?
30
31 - Grant
32 --
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list