From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:48:24
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:03:20 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5
6 > > A word of advice when starting from scratch, give your VG(s) unique
7 > > names. I've seen what happens when someone takes a drive from
8 > > one Fedora system and puts it in another, so there are two VGs called
9 > > vg01. It ain't nice (only one is seen, usually not the one you want).
10 > >
11 > > I prefer to give my VGs names related to the hostname, so it's
12 > > perfectly clear where they came from and no risk of name collisions
13 > > if I have to attach the drive to another computer.
14
15 I had such a collision once, but I was able to change the name of one
16 volume group by using vgrename with the UUID that vgdisplay shows. Dale,
17 unless you know about them already, check out {pv,vg,lv}{scan,display} for
18 information about your LVM.
19
20 > I did name it pretty well. It is called "test" right now. lol Right
21 > now, I'm just having fun. The biggest difference so far is that I can
22 > see with my new glasses. I just wish I didn't have arthritis in my
23 > neck and could move my head better. It's hard to switch between normal
24 > and the bifocal thingys.
25 >
26 > I'm getting this LVM thing down pat tho.
27
28 Finally!
29
30 > cfdisk to create partitions, if not using the whole drive.
31
32 I like to create several partitions, not a single one. And use pvcreate
33 for every partition then. This way, I can free space later just in case I
34 somehow need to have a conventional partition for installing Windows or
35 something. pvmove can transfer stuff from one physical volume to another.
36
37 I also used to have two volume groups. One small one for the system at
38 the start of the drive, where it is supposed to be a little faster, and
39 another big one for the rest. But I stopped doing so, as I lose a little
40 flexibility, and the effect is probably negligible, as all stuff is
41 encrypted here.
42
43 Wonko