From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preparing for profile switch -- major problem
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 23:20:49
1 On 12/09/17 08:18, John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 10:28:25 -0500,
3 > Daniel Frey wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I had a lot of problems with the perl updates as well, and could
6 >> not get it to resolve. I wasted over an hour trying to resolve it
7 >> (my poor Celeron would take 5-10 minutes trying to calculate
8 >> dependencies, and I had to do this 6-7 times.)
9 >>
10 >> Note, what I did worked for me and may not work for you, so use
11 >> this advice at your own risk: I emerged the new perl with
12 >> --nodeps, and invoked `perl-cleaner all` to fix the mess
13 >> afterwards. It had everything resolved in < 10 minutes. I didn't
14 >> suffer any system breakage from using the sledgehammer approach,
15 >> but others may not be so lucky... so, as I said, try it at your
16 >> own risk.
17 >
18 > I was thinking of just that myself, I may try that later today. I am
19 > using zfs, and do snapshots frequently, so it might be possible to get
20 > back if things are a disaster, but it might work at that. Did you
21 > emerge perl again without the --nodeps afterwards to make sure?
25 Well, due to the long compile times I was trying to get the dependencies
26 resolved so I could run `emerge -auDNe world --exclude sys-devel/gcc
27 --exclude sys-devel/llvm --exclude sys-devel/libtool --exclude
28 sys-devel/binutils --exclude sys-libs/glibc --keep-going world` so it
29 would recompile everything and update as it went along. (I had already
30 built the excluded packages under the new profile with gcc6.)
31
32 While I didn't remerge perl immediately after, it was included in the
33 rebuild process of --emptytree.
34
35 And it was successful! I only had perl blocking everything, so once I
36 sledgeammered that update, it was able to calculate its dependency list,
37 and it rebuilt all 500 installed packages (well, less the ones I
38 excluded) successfully - no failed packages or anything, while upgrading
39 as needed. It did take almost 30 hours though.
40
41 When trying to get perl blockers to resolve I even tried --backtrack=200
42 and it still failed. That was try 5 or 6 and at that point I was getting
43 annoyed and tried the sledgehammer technique.
44
45 Dan