From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:24:04
1 On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:22:07 +0000 (UTC), james wrote:
2
3 > For now the system is booting to a console prompt. I'm looking
4 > for a guide that tells you how to test xorg.conf configs
5 > and recover without having to reboot (powercycle) the system.
6 >
7 > I've never seen starting up X/kde cause a system to hang before...
8
9 Is the whole system handing, or just X? Do you have a networked computer
10 you can SSH in from, that would enable you to kill X. If all else fails,
11 and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel, hold
12 down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to reboot
13 (reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between each key is
14 probably a good idea.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 And God said "Let there be light" and there was light.
21 There was still nothing, but you could see it better.