From: Kevin Brandstatter <kjbrandstatter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best whois client?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 04:08:32
1 from eix, it says that jwhois can do "recursive queries"
2 whatever that means.
3
4 -Kevin
5
6 On 03/27/2013 06:37 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
7 > On 03/27/2013 06:08 AM, Mick wrote:
8 >
9 > > Like Stroller I've been using net-misc/whois for ever and it does
10 > > what I want, but don't know what the other packages may be able to
11 > > do/do better. I would also be interested to find out why people
12 > > prefer using these.
15 > They're all identical. The whois protocol is stupid simple; here's the
16 > entire spec from the RFC:
17 >
18 > 2. Protocol Specification
19 >
20 > A WHOIS server listens on TCP port 43 for requests from WHOIS
21 > clients. The WHOIS client makes a text request to the WHOIS server,
22 > then the WHOIS server replies with text content. All requests are
23 > terminated with ASCII CR and then ASCII LF. The response might
24 > contain more than one line of text, so the presence of ASCII CR or
25 > ASCII LF characters does not indicate the end of the response. The
26 > WHOIS server closes its connection as soon as the output is finished.
27 > The closed TCP connection is the indication to the client that the
28 > response has been received.
29 >
30 > Different data are located in different places, though. So if you're
31 > looking up an IP address, you'll want one server. If you're looking up
32 > an AS number, you'll want another. All the client does is run
33 > heuristics to figure out who (and how) to query. Then it dumps it to a
34 > terminal.
35 >
36 > In short, there are a lot of whois clients for the same reason there
37 > are a lot of telnet clients: it's something you can sit down and write
38 > in a weekend.
39 >
40 > Personally, I tried jwhois at first, but couldn't remember to type the
41 > 'j'. So now I use non-j whois.