From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new computer : any advice ?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 19:22:27
1 On Wednesday 09 Sep 2015 19:01:24 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 2015-09-09 um 04:20 schrieb James:
3 > > I have posted several links on the subject previously [1]; here's one
4 > > [2].
5 >
6 > [..]
7 >
8 > > If you can afford it, get a mobo that supports DDR-4.
9 > > Right now the AMD-HBM Fury-X is the video card with the
10 > > highest bandwidth for a memory buss on a video card, if
11 > > you can find one for sale:: limited production right now.
12 > >
13 > > RDMA Remote Dynamic Memory Access is the principal finally available
14 > > in gcc....
15 >
16 > Thanks for the pointers, I will read through that thread soon.
17 > So this means chosing CPU *and* GPU accordingly :-)
18 >
19 > I didn't plan to buy a separate video card at all as my usage is quite
20 > office/terminal-style without gaming or video stuff. The integrated
21 > graphics of modern core-i7xxx should be enough to run my 2
22 > 24-inch-monitors. But if the GPU helps speeding up things ... I have to
23 > consider this as well.
24 >
25 > Digging up that thread now somewhere ...
26 >
27 > Stefan
28
29 I built last Christmas a Kaveri APU based PC, with two 23" monitors and no
30 external GPU. This is a PC used as a workstation for coding, image processing
31 and the odd video transcoding. No gaming. Using stable radeon driver. The
32 performance of this machine has really impressed me when compiling packages,
33 but I don't have the latest generation i7 to compare it with. Unlike noisy
34 discrete GPUs this thing is really quiet and doesn't consume much power
35 either. The Asus MoBo has a port for an external GPU, but I don't think I
36 will ever bother getting one - certainly not new. ;-)
37
38 I have been thinking that the better compiling performance compared to my
39 other older PCs can't just be CPU specific, it must be all these additional
40 HSA-enabled compute cores that are doing some of the heavy lifting. I don't
41 know how to check this though.
44 Regards,
45 Mick