From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:31:44
1 On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:55:30 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
2
3 > > You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
4 > > Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
5 > >
6 > > Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because
7 > > I'd got away with it before.
8 >
9 > I must have hot plugged serial connections on Sun, Cisco and Intel
10 > boxes hundreds of times over the years and as far as i know have never
11 > seen a failure. Typically, the same device would be hot plugged
12 > multiple times so failures would have been noticed. I consider the
13 > risk to be negligible.
14
15 I used to think the same way, until the risk turned out to be less
16 negligible than I thought. It's entirely your choice whether you continue
17 to take that risk, but I don't think it is fair to tell others it is
18 safe to do so.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 She's fine, upstanding, and wonderful laying down.