From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Plasma-runtime compilation problems
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:14:05
1 On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 16:16 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > On 08/10/2011 03:04 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2011, 14:40:31 schrieb walt:
6 > >> On 08/09/2011 08:34 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
7 > >>> Hi all,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I'm trying to upgrade kde from 4.4 to 4.6, and I've run into a problem.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Plasma-runtime-4.6.3 is failing. The error appears to be
12 > >>> redefinition of 'struct QMetaTypeID<Plasma::Service*>'
13 > >>
14 > >> I don't use kde so I can't be specific, but usually a redefinition is
15 > >> just a warning -- unless the package is compiled with the -Wall flag or
16 > >> equivalent.
17 >
18 > (Of course I meant -Werror, sorry.)
19 >
20 > > No, this is plain wrong. Redefinition of a struct is an error in C and C++
21 > >
22 > > ~$cat foo.c
23 > > struct foo {
24 > > int i;
25 > > };
26 > >
27 > > struct foo {
28 > > char* v;
29 > > };
30 > >
31 > > ~$gcc foo.c -o foo
32 > > foo.c:5:8: error: redefinition of 'struct foo'
33 > > foo.c:1:8: note: originally defined here
34 >
35 > Hm. I know I've seen compiler redefinition messages thousands of times
36 > over the years. Is it really possible that all of those thousands were
37 > errors instead of warnings? If that's true then I've wasted a lot more
38 > time tracking them down than I care to think about :)
41 I've seen lots of compiler warnings in the past. This one, however, was
42 flagged as an 'Error', not as a warning. It was the last message before
43 the compile failed, so I think it's reasonable to assume that therein
44 lies the problem?
45
46 I have emerged all system files, as well as a lot of the world files
47 that are currently out of date. This particular compilation failure
48 happened late in an emerge -NDuav kdebase-meta, as the first part of the
49 upgrade from kde4.4 to kde4.6
50
51 Running revdep-rebuild following the emerge didn't help. I still have
52 some world files that are out of date, but all of those are allegedly
53 not deep dependencies of kdebase-eta. Last time I tried to do a full
54 emerge -NDuav world, however, I was then unable to operate my HDPVR
55 unit, as it suffered a lot of usb failures. I had to recover my system
56 from an earlier clonezila backup, so now I'm trying to sneak up on the
57 problem by doing as little as possible each emerge, then checking
58 everything works and running another OS clone before continuing.
59
60 Unfortunately, kde is now broken, so I'm operating my mythtv interface
61 via gnome while I attempt to recover kde. It's probable that the fault
62 lies in one of the other packages within world that are still to be
63 upgraded, but it would be nice to get some clues as to which one is the
64 culprit, so I can continue to inch up on whatever is breaking my HDPVR
65 based mythtv.
66
67 Jeff