From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 22:10:43
1 On 24/12/19 20:33, Dale wrote:
2 > I think it is indexing/caching/something that requires it to look at
3 > every single file in there plus all the levels below it. If so, that
4 > would be a huge task. Here is some info on that but I did post it a bit
5 > ago. It was sort of nested in one of the posts.
6
7 Exactly. The thing about what this developer noticed is that it is the
8 READING THE FILES that kills the system performance. The indexing is
9 just random noise.
10
11 So once this fix gets into the system it won't matter that it's indexing
12 - the indexing will stall waiting for the files to be read, and reading
13 the files won't kill the system.
14
15 What seems to be happening at the moment is that as plasma reads the
16 files, linux is paging plasma out to make way for the files, then it has
17 to drop old cache to page plasma back in, and it's just got stuck in
18 treacle trying to "in out in out shake it all about" :-)
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol