From: "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calendar sharing with MS outlook on gentoo
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:55:34
1 2006/10/14, bijayant kumar <bijayant4u@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Hi to all,
4 > I want to install MS outlook on the gentoo. Can it
5 > possible to run MS outlook on gentoo-linux. If yes then how...??? Is any
6 > extra plugin required to do the same. My main concern is that i have to
7 > provide calendar sharing with MS outlook on linux box to one of my
8 > client..Please help me..I have heard about scalix, but i am not sure about
9 > it, there is one thing more openXchange also. But i have no idea about both
10 > of them. If any one can help me, please do sir. I will be very thankful to
11 > you all.
14 >From your mails I still don't understand if you have client linux boxes
15 where you want to run Outlook, or you have a linux server box where you want
16 to place the shared calendar, with Outlook clients. Anyway, for each
17 situation:
18
19 1. Windows Server running Exchange with Linux clients running Outlook: you
20 need some piece of software that lets you run Outlook on Linux. You may try
21 Wine, CrossOver Linux (from CodeWeavers)...
22
23 2. Server running Linux with Windows clients running Outlook: you need a
24 groupware server that lets you use Outlook as a client. OpenGroupware and
25 Kolab comes to mind, there are commercial plugins that lets you connect
26 Outlook to both of them.
27
28 3. Neither of the two above: if what you really want to do is to share
29 calendars, but you may have linux on the server and client side and use
30 other software instead of Outlook, take a look at the list of supported
31 clients for the groupware server you choose. Novell Evolution and KDE
32 Kontact are both groupware clients with similar interface and functionality
33 resembling Outlook, and they can connect to OpenGroupware and Kolab IIRC.
34
35 HTH, best regards
36 Jose