From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 23:14:46
1 On 6/9/19 2:23 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > I think Dale meant a later tree will contain updated packages, which
3 > may fix previous breakages and incompatibilities.
4
5 Please clarify which tree: Kernel and / or Portage
6
7 > Hypothetically, a later VBox version requires some later version libs,
8 > which your current tree is missing. A re-sync will bring these in
9 > and your next emerge will fix the problems you were having.
10
11 I don't recall what version of VirtualBox was installed. I know that it
12 was 5.<something>. I also know that it was current 3 ~ 4 months ago
13 (emerge --sync at the time).
14
15 It looks like 5.2.26 is now installed (possibly the same version I had).
16 Anything newer than that (5.2.28-r1 / 5.2.30 / 6.*) is still masked by
17 ~amd64.
18
19 > Admittedly, I have experienced this more than once with various
20 > packages.
21
22 I've had bad versions come into Portage that shuffle out in a few days
23 multiple times before. But those always failed to emerge (compile /
24 install).
25
26 > Nevertheless, your module related problems are more obscure/involved.
27 > A dev should have a better idea as to what might be causing this.
28
29 ACK
30
31 I'll need to refresh my account to post to the forums.